Sunday, April 1, 2012

What a deal!!! $2.80 for a haircut ?

Last week, I was looking for a decent hair salon to get a trim, like an inch off my hair. The tips of my hair is usually fray and dry. I could not care less which salon I go to ( I am not the loyalty type as far as hair salon goes). I do not have a stringent list of criteria and am not exactly choosy but I do have some basic criteria... that is not too much to ask for

1) I don't like to wait especially if I am paying $40
2) I don't like to wait especially if I am paying more than $40 and had made an appointment
3) I don't require my hair to be washed or blow or scalp massaged
4) I don't want anyone to hard sell any items that is good for my hair or improve my looks
5) I want to get my money worth

Due to time constraint (I like to see it as time is not on my side rather being plain lazy), I often frequent the nearest hair salon in the mall where our shop is. They charge a reasonable price for a hair cut, wash and blow. Some salons here charge $200 for a haircut which puzzle me even till today. Maybe it is the scissors or the chair they seat in, I will not pay a hefty amount of $200 for a trim.
Then I found another shop which is 3 floors down. It is the $10 for a 10 minute hair cut.  It quickly became my favourite, no frill place to trim my hair though the wait can be a bit frustrating during weekends. They will inevitably take more than 10 mins. Somehow I was not very satisfied aftter each visit but I didn't complain much as it is only $10.  

Recently, I went to Ang Mo Kio neighbourhood to see a doctor and chanced upon at least 10 hair salons within walking distance to each other. They were having a price war. One salon charged $15 for hair cut, another $10, another $5 for all length...etc. The lowest I saw was $2.80. I decided to try the $12 version service as it looked decent (no dark windows/glasses). The whole shop was full of chatters, jokes and laughter. The hairdresser, Mary must be quite popular.

After 20 minutes my hair was neatly trimmed, no duck tails. Perfecto! Only $12. Maybe I will convert to be a loyal client and no more wavering eyes to seek out other deals.  I am tempted to try the $2.80 shop. Should I? Anyone?
Gucci Sukey, $1200
What bag should you bring to the hair salon? I had the Gucci Sukey with me, big enough for a book( I am reading Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins) and my friend, Nato's ipad filled with tons of games. I didn't need it afterall as I was already entertained by Mary's old clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment