Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Fashionista's Brief Pronunciation Guide

Working in the shop as a sales assistant, I need to know many designer brands ( by means of product knowledge) and learn to pronounce the brands that may sound like Greek to me. The spelling is in English alphabets, no doubt but the pronunciation can be quite tougue challenging. I do aspire to give these high-fashion designers at least that little respect by pronouncing their brandname correctly.

I chance upon an incident in the shop one day, when a customer asked if we do carry, Loewe (to be pronounced as  LO-ee-VAY).
" do you carry LOU-WE bags?
I thought to myself,
(panic stricken) " is this the Singlish nickname of LV these days? like how we Singaporeans tend to shorten our syllabus to sound more intimate. For example, how we address 'cher' instead of 'teacher'.

I replied confidently, trying to pretend I know what she meant at the same time correcting her since I do want to give designers some respect,
" oh mdm, we do not carry LV.
" No I meant LOU-WE.
" Er, yes, we don't carry LOU-WE. ( with a smile)

After 2 minutes of further enquiry, more explanations and descriptions, I realised I was mistaken. She meant LO-ee-Vay. zzz....

It never hurt to appear worldly and sophisticated, and smart when it comes to throwing foreign names around. In the interest of saving us some embarrassment, I decided to write " A dummy pronunciation guide to high fashion designers name"

Here are some common unpronounceable names

BULGARI: BOOL-ga-ree
CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN: KREES-tyan loo-boo-TAWN
DOLCE & GABBANA: DOLE-chay & gab-AH-nah
GIVENCHY: jee-von-SHE
HERMES: air-MESS
LOUIS VUITTON:lew-EE vee-TOH
PROENZA SCHOULDER: pro-EN-za SKOOL-er
YVES SAINT LAURENT: EEVES san LAWR-on


p.s: I used to pester Kevin to buy me a Gucci bag. He will joke back, " of cos my dear, I will buy you a Gucci that spells GU CHEE!  

No comments:

Post a Comment