Sunday, March 6, 2011

My debut bus ride

With the rising cost of petrol, I decided to use buses and MRT as my new mode of transport. It was a daring move for me as I don't remember how to balance on buses anymore especially with my 3 inch high heel. The last time I took a bus was 15 years ago.

I vividly recalled, I used to board buses by flashing my student bus pass. This has not changed, I mean all are pre-paid,right? This is how our government use our money to invest to make more money for themselves.  These days we tap the EZ-link card on the machine (at least don't have to show the bus captain our geeky photo ;p).  Yesterday, I decided to give myself an orientation programme. I remembered how orientations were like in school, always filled with games and tons of new people to know. However,  this orientation was a serious one, literally finding out directions. I checked out the bus numbers, the route, the cost, distant, timetable..etc. I was ready for my orientation. I wore T-shirt, a pair shorts and comfortable running shoes. I carried a small Gucci wristlet, inside it, were my housekeys, Ezlink card and my phone, incase I needed some assistance. So off I went. I was feeling half excited and half anxious. It's a Saturday afterall, I hope there's not many people so I can get a seat in the bus. With the research I had done before hand, I was confident that I will not be lost.

The bus (very spacious and comfy with aircon, unlike 15 yeears ago) arrived and brought me to my destination. The ride took 30 mins and 10 mins waiting time. I observed my surroundings all the time ( else I won't know where to stop) and everyone could tell I was a newbie in the bus. Having reached my destination, now I have to figure my way back home, which I realised it was not simply crossing over to the opposite side of the road and take the same bus back.....I was frantically trying to find someone to ask for directions. The place I was in was not exactly bustling with people, on the contrary it was quite ulu on a Saturday afternoon. After walking for 10 mins under the hot scorching sun, I was perspiring as if I just ran 10km. I needed some tissue, water, umbrella and maybe a pair of slippers. I felt miserable.

I wish I was carrying a bigger bag such as this:


Tods D-Styling Bauletto, S$1920


Dolce & Gabbana, S$1800

Burberry, S$1800

Marc Jacobs, S$2300
I need a big bag as I always have a lot to carry especially during days like this when you are on the foot, running places. You want to know what goes into my bag? I will throw in a book to read when I am waiting, a water bottle, my diary, ipod, phone, a small bag of keys, a cosmetic pouch, card holder, wallet of cos and not forgetting my sunglasses and an umbrella for hot days like this. Those bags above ( no black) above can go well with both casual and office wear. There is another reason for big bags, I can spend one less day in the gym!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of public transport. You have to be careful with your bags though, especially on a crowded train. One of my bags ended with several scratch marks after one particularly crowded train trip. But think of the amount of money saved which can be spent on getting more bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I kinda enjoyed my bus ride. The bags recommended above are made of tougher leather and likely scratches will not be that visible. Yes certainly save $$ to buy more bags and look fab! :)

    ReplyDelete