Sunday, January 8, 2012

I used to HATE CNY but now......


I never like CNY since young as I don't like my relatives, let alone visiting them. ( if you happened to be related to me and reading this, I meant every single word). Shamefully admitting, my relatives are a bunch of competitive, loud mouth freaks. They used to compare which kids (my cousins) were smarter, prettier and even who was taller in front of us. Gosh, I wish I could tell them that they had ruined my confidence and made me developed an inferiority complex. I was not smart, pretty nor tall then.

Since I was a problem child (according to them), my cousins obviously could not hang out with me as I would have led them astray. My adult relatives continued to despise me, to further robbed me my self-esteem and confidence. I faded to the background slowly and it was indeed a blessing in disguise.  Without them or rather the negative energy, I fared so much better in life as compared to some of my cousins.

I have grown up and they have mellowed somewhat with age catching up with them. I am no longer compelled or forced to visit them at all. We are cordial and I have forgiven them even they did not apologise.

To me CNY is a holiday, celebration of the new year, excuses to buy new things, eat and having new hopes too. And yes, I will visit my relatives.

Below are a few of my favorites CNY goodies that will put a smile on my face:

Open face pineapple tarts 
Only homemade pineapple tarts. I dont go for mass production ones, with the exception of Bengawan Solo. I love pineapples tarts.


Close face pineapple tarts.

Chinese Salad with raw fish and sweet sauce


I love Lao Yusheng, It is in fact a MUST have for me for CNY. I love the gathering of the people, the large plate and we have to say something auspicious ( we always say it in English) with each toss of the salad. I missed having it.

No comments:

Post a Comment